Saturday, August 13, 2011

Beyond Method #10: Library Technology

Method #10 concerns tools to help conferencing or continuing education online. I have used Go-to-meeting. This was useful when a tech needed to take over my computer remotely and fix a problem we were having. I've also attended many webinars for continuing education. I used this extensively for staff training, and now that state library finances have been cut so drastically, I expect we will all be relying on this more and more.

I participated in a podcast set up by NETLS to discuss with other librarians how we liked using Discover Pods. NETLS also set up an online conference to discuss the feasability of KOHO as an online automation system. I have never organized an online meeting or training session.

I really liked the idea of using SKYPE to connect authors with children, or even with a book discussion group. I've never used SKYPE, but my laptop can use it, so I will be trying that out soon. Connecting families with soldiers overseas sounds like an excellent program, one that all libraries should have.

No comments:

Post a Comment