Friday, July 22, 2011

Beyond Method #2: Library technology uses

Customizable webpages! What a concept! Taming the Internet with pageflakes, igoogle, netvibes, smartpage Library virtual reference tool!

Netvibes and pageflakes are two customizable sites that can be used by libraries to provide comprehensive web coverage for patrons. Igoogle is a personal website, not a public. I thought netvibes was too overwhelming for me, too much information clamoring for my attention at once, rather confusing - but, very well in tune with our chaotic life style. For myself, I chose igoogle as a personal home page and intend to use it for some months to see how I like it. If I chose netvibes for a library webpage, I would link it to genealogy as the best overall coverage for any number of patrons, novice to experienced researchers. A library could link to this webpage from Plinkit and open up a tremendous resource for family researchers. Smartpage library virtual reference tool is fabulous. Linking to this site, one would almost be able to find anything! No wonder there is so much concern that libraries are being superceded.

At this point in my library career -- recently retired! -- I find the field changing so rapidly that I think the only way to catch up with it would be to return to school full time and study only internet resources. Or take a catch-up webinar like Beyond Two-Step. Thanks for the introductions!

For any of my non-librarian readers, I advise spending some time with the new tools being developed: www.netvibes.com, igoogle.com, pageflakes.com
Where Web 2.0 will end up, I have no idea. Prepare yourself for an overwhelmingly wild ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment