Sunday, July 31, 2011

Beyond Method 3 -- mapping

Library Technology: Method 3 of Beyond Two-Step examined mapping sites and how to add a map. This is a really useful skill and one I have benefitted from often. I use it often when traveling to an unfamiliar site, or when I need travel distance information. I didn't add a map for the Gunter Library & Museum because there is already a map attached to the library website. Later when I create a netvibes page for genealogy, I will create a map to the Gunter Library.

Local history: For Census information on Gunter residents, up through 1930, go to www.tsl.state.tx.us/texshare/ and use the Genealogy sources there. Heritage Quest will give you Census information. Texas Sanborn Insurance maps will allow you to view detailed maps back to the 1900s.

I plan to create a genealogy website and link it to the Gunter Library & Museum so that I can include local history and family research as well as useful links to other research sites on the Internet. My first contribution will be to donate a couple of personal family histories to the Gunter Library, one for the Roy Hazelton family, long time residents of Gunter, and one for my own family, the James C. McCrain family, as local residents past and present. This will be the beginning of a listing of local family research present in the library/museum. Anyone who has local history or family research is urged to provide a copy for the Gunter Library & Museum. There will also be a local obituary page.

Current Reading: I completed the first book in the George R.R. Martin series "A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire." I enjoyed the fast action fantasy very much and found the writing style interesting. I may have to make a chart to keep track of all the characters. However the ones I am most interested in continue into the second book, "A Clash of Kings." This is an adult book I would recommend to all fantasy readers, with the reservation that it has explicit sexuality that may offend some.

No comments:

Post a Comment